Chronic pain is a growing problem among older adults. Research indicates that 50-75% of elders suffer from chronic pain. Assessment of both acute and chronic pain may be difficult as elders don’t often report pain but believe it is part of the aging process. When left untreated pain impacts the quality of life and can contribute to sleep problems, decreased mobility, falls, depression and anxiety. It is essential that interventions for pain include both pharmacological and non-pharmacological approaches. It is critical that pain medications are monitored for efficacy and potential side effects. One of the methods for ensuring that an older adult is on the right pain medication is with pharmacogenetics. Pharmacogenetics offers the following benefits:
- Aligns medications with personal DNA.
- Optimizes medication use.
- Identifies responders and non-responders.
- Avoids adverse drug events such as serious side effects.
- Reduces trial and error.
- Reduces costs.
- Enhances confidence regarding medication use.
- Provides for person centered medication regimen.
To learn more about getting started with pharmacogenetics, call us at 405-509-5112 or email email@example.com