Older adults are at increased risk for depression. They are often misdiagnosed and undertreated. Anti-depressants can contribute to an increased risk of falls as a result of orthostatic hypotension. Genetic factors are believed to play a major role in the variation of treatment response and the incidence of adverse effects to medication (Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience, 2005). Pharmacogenetics assists in the alignment of medications with personal DNA. Benefits include:
- Aligns medications with personal DNA.
- Optimizes medication use.
- Identifies responders and non-responders.
- Avoids adverse drug events such as serious side effects.
- Reduces trial and error.
- Reduces costs.
- Enhances confidence regarding medication use.
- Provides for person centered medication regimen.
To learn more about getting started with pharmacogenetics, call us at 405-509-5112 or email email@example.com